Home Welcome to the UQMC Forum! Unofficial Club Trips Canarvon Gorge Trip (Mid 2016 during Semester Break or Summer 2016)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mitchell Quinn 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Renae Danam
    Participant

Hey so I’m more interested in the hiking aspect of UQMC than the climbing aspect. But I was wondering if anyone was interested in organising an unofficial multi-day hike to Canarvon Gorge (3 hr drive from Brisbane). Preferably also someone who has hiked it before as I haven’t, I have the means of transport but just lack the survival and planning skills.

Mitchell Quinn
    Participant

I’d be up for something like that. never walked it myself but I’ve done similar.

Jon
    Participant

I’d be interested in joining for this. Summer is a while away but mid sem would be worth organising for.

Rebecca Austin
    Participant

Hi guys, it’s great to hear that you are keen to go exploring Canarvon Gorge. It’s very beautiful.

Just a couple of comments, it actually takes around 9hrs to drive out there from Brisbane. It’s a pretty epic drive so be prepared. Also be very careful about petrol. The last petrol stop is Injune, just out of Roma.

I would avoid going in summer if you intend to do the whole multi-day walk. It will be too hot! Easter time will also be very warm.

If you do not intend on doing the full multi-day, an overnight hike up the gorge and back again is relatively straight forward and stunning.

Renae: It would be great for you to come on some of the overnight trips planned this semester. This way you can build up your bushwalking knowledge.

Cheers,
    Rebecca

Jon
    Participant

Good points!

For reasons of heat we should hold off until the break in winter then in the meantime work out the logistics and what not to get it done right.

Mitchell Quinn
    Participant

Hi guys, all good points considered, personally I think it’d be awesome to do this mid sem break (ie in 2-3 weeks). I’m pretty sure this would mean it’s not a club trip. So whoevers actually keen to do it this midsem for real then send me a pm on Facebook and we can start planning!

Mitchell Quinn
    Participant

I have made a start of a planning document. If your interested please have a read, add comments and add your name. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-YSdjV15vtpnv3oit6m2Rxz1NI7tr9FYZsHbEnaZb64/edit?usp=docslist_api

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.